More specifically, yesterday, the 14th of May 2019, blue flag awards for coasts and marinas were announced, and the municipality of Rhodes was awarded 39 blue flags for 2019, compared to 35 last year, 25 in 2017 and 28 in 2016, while Kos was awarded 10 blue flags. At a Regional level, in the southern Aegean region a total of 82 coasts and 2 marinas were awarded with blue flags.
With 515 award winning coasts, Greece ranks second in the world among 47 countries that participate in the programme.
It is worth noting that this year, among all 47 countries participating in the Program, Greece held 12% of the total awards. This year the International Commission awarded 3,779 coasts, 695 marinas and 67 sustainable boating operators around the world.
The awarded beaches on Rhodes in detail
In detail, the blue flag awarded beaches of Rhodes are as follows:
- Ammoudes-Faliraki/Alila Resort
- Ammoudes-Faliraki/Elysium Resort
- Ammoudes-Faliraki/Rodos Palladium
- Faliraki 1/Esperides
- Faliraki 2/Amada Colossos
- Faliraki 3/Esperos Palace
- Faliraki 4/Kalypso
- Faliraki 5/Blue Sea
- Faliraki 5/Epsilon
- Faliraki A
- Faliraki-Kastraki/Grecotel Lux Me Rhodos
- Afantou 2/Irene Palace & Port Royal
- Vlicha/Lindos Mare & Lindos Blu
- Megalos Gialos
- Psaltos/Mitsis Lindos Memories
- Galouni Kokkinogia/Boutique 5 Hotel
- Galouni Kokkinogia/Mayia Exclusive Resort
- Kokkinogia/Mitsis Rodos Village
- Galouni Kokkinogia/Princess Adriana Resort
- Ixia/Rodos Palace
- Kavourakia/Amilia Mare & Paradise Village
- Reni 1/Sunwing Kallithea Beach
- Kiotari 3/Rodos Princess Beach
- Kolymbia A-Limanaki/Atlantica Imperial
- Kolymbia/Mythos Beach
- Kolymbia/Mikri Poli
- Lardos 1/Lindos Princess Beach
- Lardos 3/Lindian Village
- Lachania/Atrium Prestige
- Reni Kalathou/Atrium Palace
- Stegna/Porto Angeli
- Trianta B/Sun Beach Resort
- Trianta/Electra Palace Resort
You might also find this interesting: The complete beach guide to Rhodes island in Greece
What is the Blue Flag Eco Label?
The Blue Flag eco-label is an international programme, coordinated in Greece by the Hellenic Society for the Protection of Nature (HPSN), and is an international symbol recognized worldwide defining environmental quality. It is one of the best known environmental symbols worldwide, and has been awarded since 1987 to beaches and marinas meeting the strict requirements of the programme. The purpose of the programme is to make beaches and marinas better and safer, while at the same time protecting their natural environment. The Hellenic Society for the Protection of Nature is the oldest conservation organization in the country and has been active in environmental education and the protection of nature since 1951.
In order to receive a Blue Flag eco-label, a beach must not only be found to have an excellent quality of bathing water, it must also comply with a further 32 criteria concerning cleanliness, environmental management and organization, environmental education and information, visitor safety and services, as well as protection of nature, the coast and the coastal area.