The facade is richly decorated with reliefs carved on local poros stone. The impressive main entrance is in the centre of the building and symmetrical openings are left on each side.
The building was constructed during the first years of the Italian occupation by the Italian architect Florestano di Fausto. It was then used as the Italian Post-Office (Palazzo delle Poste) and its function today remains the same, as it houses the Greek Post-Office (ELTA).
The Hospice of St. Catherine was built in 1391-92, under grand master Heredia, by the Italian Domenico d'Allemagna, admiral of the Order of the Knights of St. John (Knights Hospitaller). The founder was an important personage, disposing of considerable means.
Topics: Monuments in Rhodes
more about St. Catherine Hospice
Mt. Filerimos (Philerimos, Φιλέρημος in Greek), is situated about 15km from Rhodes Town, on a hill 267m. high, also located near the village of Trianta, and stands on the same site as the Doric city of Ialysos in ancient times.
Topics: Historic buildings
more about Filerimos