Image © Rhodes Guide / Spyros Spyropoulos

The Byzantine castle of Lardos

The castle was built in the 12th century, during the Byzantine Era, by the Knights of the Order of St. John, whose main interest as soon as they arrived on the island in 1309, was to construct protective fortresses, preferably overlooking the sea, in order to defend themselves from the enemies.

Lucky enough, when they came to Lardos, they discovered an already built fort from the Byzantine Era, which required minimum reconstruction work, as it was still in outstanding condition.

The castle is located on a hillock about 42 metre high, close to the village of Lardos. Nearby there is a higher hill which probably contributed to the security of the castle. A little while after the Knights moved in, the castle and the entire settlement of Lardos was offered to the Genovese Admiral, Vinioli, a s a reward gift for his successful invasion in the island of Rhodes.

Today, the castle constitutes a memory of the far glorious days when warriors were battling and the place was full of activity. It is certainly a place worth visiting, not only because of its glorious days, but also because amongst the ruins, archeologists have found remnants of the mansions from the Byzantine era.

Reviews & comments

Add your review about The Byzantine castle of Lardos
* How likely would you recommend this

Explore topics & interests
Topic-related articles

Medieval clock tower (Roloi)

Even being the highest elevation of the Old Town of Rhodes, the clock tower (Roloi), is hardly noticeable at first glance.

Topics: Historic buildings, Monuments in Rhodes

Archaeological Musem

The Archaeological Museum of Rhodes is housed in the medieval building of the Hospital of the Knights. Its construction was completed in 1489 by the celebrated Grand Master d'Aubusson. It is a two-storey building, with an internal courtyard, all four sides of which are lined with porticoes.

Topics: Historic buildings, History, Medieval

Asklipio (Asklepieion) Medieval Fort

The castle of Asklipio (Asklepieion) was built in 1479 by Grand Master D'Aubusson at the site of an ancient lighthouse. In the Byzantine period, during the time of the Knights, the castle also offered the inhabitants of the surrounding villages protection against enemy attacks.

Topics: Historic buildings, Medieval, Monuments in Rhodes

Feedback