This article is about the Medieval Festival in Rhodes that happened in 2011. For up to date information about the Medieval Rose Festival, please visit this page
The "Medieval Rose" is a non-governmental, non-profit association, which was recently established (2005) with the ambitious but realistic aim of organizing an annual Medieval Festival within the walls of the Medieval Town of Rhodos – the best preserved, while continuously inhabited, surrounded by walls and moat, medieval town in the world (monument of cultural and architectural world heritage - UNESCO 1988).
The Festival comprises scenes of everyday life in the Medieval Rhodes, as well as relevant cultural events. This is achieved through the co-operation of the organizing committee with historians, archaeologists, actors, musicians, performers, visual artists and craftsmen. An additional effort is made to attract as many volunteers as possible, as the Festival is not just “a theatrical play”, but aims at the active participation of every person entering the gates of the medieval town.
A wandering through the mysterious streets of the Medieval Town and the obscure Citadels, at a time when the Alchemists were seeking the Mandrake and the Fairies were dancing around the fountains, enchanting passers-by.
At times, when romantic love was growing in the shadow of a dreadful war and endless battles.
And somewhere there, hidden in the swamp, a terrible Dragon, mangling children and adults.
At the Medieval Markets the best sugar of the world, as well as spices, perfumes, textiles, pottery, soap and music, lots of music...
...And there! The Order of the Knights crosses through the crowded public squares, full of scholars, magicians, artisans, merchants and craftsmen from all over the world!
The Walls, an embrace of stone around a multi-national feast!
Tradition, History & Myth,
The Legend of Rhodes
Ιn a Festival!
The 5th Medieval Rose Festival of the island of Rhodes 2011, will take place from 28 May to 2 of July (every Saturday and/or Sunday). Event will take place with the support and under the Aegis of the Municipality of Rhodes.
- 28 May - 20:00. Art exhibition: “Dodecanesian Artists portray the Middle Ages of Rhodes”. Opening at the French lodgement on Knights’ street, with live medieval music.
- 4 June - 18:00. Horseback riding knights show at the Moat, Story Telling and medieval games for children and grown ups.
- 11 June - 17:00. Team Play – “Chase of the Dragon” and Medieval Pageant will take place throughout the Medieval Town and Moat with the co-operation of the 1st Scout System of Ialysos.
- 28/5, 4/6, 11/6: Medieval happenings interspersed in the Old Town of Rhodes with music and spectacles to be announced from time to time
- 18 June - 21:00. Especially impressive will be the concert of medieval music at the SOUND & LIGHT garden, from the well-known ensemble, at the early music fans, “Hortus Musicus” with the collaboration of the Embassy of Estonia in Athens. Ticket price: 12€. Event page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=103734136377673
The Festival will end with the unique Castle Fayres:
- 25 - 26 June - 18:30. Medieval banquet-tavern at the Castle of Kritinia with a series of medieval happenings and traditional food to be prepared during the event by the local cultural association "Kastellos". And yet: live medieval music, street theater, fire shows and magic, men on stilts and more ...
- 2 July- 18:30. Theatrical Play with a medieval theme at Monolithos Citadel and Traditional cooking by the "New Life" local cultural association
For more information about the event, you can visit their Facebook event page ( https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=141372412601930 ) or the official website ( http://www.medievalrose.org )